trinity-devel@lists.pearsoncomputing.net

Message: previous - next
Month: June 2016

Re: My_Documents mangled UTF8

From: deloptes <deloptes@...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:31:31 +0200
Fat-Zer wrote:

> 2016-06-21 1:38 GMT+03:00 Slávek Banko <slavek.banko@...>:
>> On Tuesday 21 of June 2016 00:24:56 Fat-Zer wrote:
>>
>> As far as I know, this was fixed sometime in year 2011...
>>
> 
> Seems somebody missed a spot ;)
> 
> Best results I've got:
> 
> cat My_Documents | grep '\[b[egn]\]' | iconv -t cp1252 -c
> Name[be]=Т�чка дл� дакументаў
> Name[bg]=Директори� � документи
> Name[bn]=ডক��মেন��ট ফোল��ডার
> 
> So they all should be removed or fixed by native speakers (I suppose
> we have a Bulgarian one here).
> For Belarussian I suspect it should be "Точка для дакументаў" (not
> 100% positive)...
> Got no damn clue, how it should looks on Bengali...

Haha, thanks yes. This is exactly what I mean. According my experience after
correcting it, it looks fine until it gets reloaded. Something I noticed
about KSaveFile - it does not set the encoding to the stream.
I think the original files should be OK and when they get read for first
time it also looks OK, but after this they get mangled.
In my case it does not look like latin1 but utf8 mangling. This might be,
because you run it via iconv -t cp1252

cat /opt/trinity/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/Printers | grep '\[b[egn]\]'
Name[be]=Друкаркі
Name[bg]=Принтери
Name[bn]=মদরণ


Anyway, thank you for looking into it. As I wrote before the workaround for
me was to remove the write permissions on the file after changing it.

regards