trinity-devel@lists.pearsoncomputing.net

Message: previous - next
Month: June 2016

Re: Re: My_Documents mangled UTF8

From: deloptes <deloptes@...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 00:06:29 +0200
Fat-Zer wrote:

> 2016-06-21 9:31 GMT+03:00 deloptes
> <deloptes@...>:
>> Fat-Zer wrote:
>>
>>> 2016-06-21 1:38 GMT+03:00 Slávek Banko
>>> <slavek.banko@...>:
>>>> On Tuesday 21 of June 2016 00:24:56 Fat-Zer wrote:
>>>>
>>>> As far as I know, this was fixed sometime in year 2011...
>>>>
>>>
>>> Seems somebody missed a spot ;)
>>>
>>> Best results I've got:
>>>
>>> cat My_Documents | grep '\[b[egn]\]' | iconv -t cp1252 -c
>>> Name[be]=Т�чка дл� дакументаў
>>> Name[bg]=Директори� � документи
>>> Name[bn]=ডক��মেন��ট ফোল��ডার
>>>
>>> So they all should be removed or fixed by native speakers (I suppose
>>> we have a Bulgarian one here).
>>> For Belarussian I suspect it should be "Точка для дакументаў" (not
>>> 100% positive)...
>>> Got no damn clue, how it should looks on Bengali...
>>
>> Haha, thanks yes. This is exactly what I mean. According my experience
>> after correcting it, it looks fine until it gets reloaded. Something I
>> noticed about KSaveFile - it does not set the encoding to the stream.
>> I think the original files should be OK and when they get read for first
>> time it also looks OK, but after this they get mangled.
>> In my case it does not look like latin1 but utf8 mangling. This might be,
>> because you run it via iconv -t cp1252
>>
>> cat /opt/trinity/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/Printers | grep '\[b[egn]\]'
>> Name[be]=Друкаркі
>> Name[bg]=Принтери
>> Name[bn]=মদরণ
>>
>>
>> Anyway, thank you for looking into it. As I wrote before the workaround
>> for me was to remove the write permissions on the file after changing it.
>>
>> regards
>>
> 
> Are you positive, that the fixes reverts with the logins — that sounds
> mostly impossible... You are likely just reinstalled the kdesktop
> package.
> And what's the correct Bulgarian variant, if you may provide such?

I updated the My_Documents file and saved. It appears correct on the screen,
but after some time or login - don't recall exactly it appears mangled on
the screen. I check the file and the mangled is there - definitely UTF.
I observed the same with the KSaveFile as stated above.

The correct one is
مستنداتي
Name[bg]=Документи

Oh, I just see here (from git):
tdebase/kdesktop/init/My_Documents

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=folder_wordprocessing
Name=My Documents
Name[af]=Dokument Gids
Name[ar]=مستنداتي
Name[be]=ТÑчка Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð´Ð°ÐºÑƒÐ¼ÐµÐ½Ñ‚Ð°Ñž
Name[bg]=Ð”Ð¸Ñ€ÐµÐºÑ‚Ð¾Ñ€Ð¸Ñ Ñ Ð´Ð¾ÐºÑƒÐ¼ÐµÐ½Ñ‚Ð¸
Name[bn]=ডকà§à¦®à§‡à¦¨à§à¦Ÿ ফোলà§à¦¡à¦¾à¦°

So it's broken in git - perhaps one could find the original file and it is
correct there - what a mess - I always hated this encoding stuff. Each time
you have to write some code dealing with text ... it was such a pain ... it
will last another 10-20y before its gone.

regards