Message: previous - next
Month: August 2010

Building KDE 3.5.x For Slackware

From: Darrell Anderson <humanreadable@...>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:17:18 -0700 (PDT)

I hope this first message gets through.

I am going to try creating build scripts for KDE 3.5.x for Slackware. I am stepping into something over my head as I am not a developer and have no skills in c++. I'll need lots of hand-holding from other developers. :) In other words, please do not assume when explaining. I'll learn but need good explanations.

I have the svn tree duplicated locally.

I am trying to build kdelibs.

In my build script I check that the following packages are installed:


I have qt-3.3.8b and arts 1.5.10 installed. I have not rebuilt arts through svn. I'm just trying to get the kinks out of this process right now and will built that package some other day.

I have the build script creating the makefiles as suggested at the wiki:

cp -Rp /usr/lib/build/libtool.m4 file> admin/
cp -Rp /usr/lib/build/ file> admin/
make -f admin/Makefile.common

I saw no errors with that section of the build script.

First errors I notice when building kdelibs are when running config:

checking if TQt is available... no

configure: WARNING: You are attempting to compile Trinity without the Trinity Qt Interface installed.  Please install libtqtinterface-dev and try again!

Seems like two errors there. I have tqtinterface installed in the svn dependencies directory.

Slackware does not split sources into user and developers packages like Debian. As I am building these packages on a system with KDE 3.5.10 installed, I likely have the qt developer files installed. This is the way packages are built for Slackware.

Another error I noticed in the config process:

lua.h was not found or was not usable, Lua 5.0 headers are required !

The stock Slackware does not ship with lua installed.

Thereafter the kdelibs build fails early in the process with the following messages:

mv -f .deps/accept.Tpo .deps/accept.Plo
mv: cannot stat `.deps/accept.Tpo': No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [accept.lo] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
mv -f .deps/authutil.Tpo .deps/authutil.Plo
mv -f .deps/connect.Tpo .deps/connect.Plo
mv: cannot stat `.deps/authutil.Tpo': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `.deps/connect.Tpo': No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [authutil.lo] Error 1
make[4]: *** [connect.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/dev/shm/kdelibs/dcop/KDE-ICE'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/dev/shm/kdelibs/dcop'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/dev/shm/kdelibs/dcop'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/dev/shm/kdelibs'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I do not build in the svn directory. I copied the kdelibs and dependencies source files to a temporary location. Perhaps that is why these errors happen. I'm guessing there might be a path problem.

I hope I provided sufficient information.