Message: previous - next
Month: June 2012

R14.0.0 Branding issues

From: Darrell Anderson <humanreadable@...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:04:49 -0700 (PDT)
Considering the original volume of changes needed, we're about as okay as we can expect, but --- we still find branding issues. For example, today I found some more and I am pushing patches.

To resolve remaining branding issues we need the following:

* Some really smart person to grep the system properly looking for corrupt image files (png, xcf, jpg/jpeg, whatever else might be out there). We can't inspect those images for branding issues. For whatever reason, seems many of the images got corrupted with CR/LF issues. We have found most of the corrupt files (walch.martin found most of them --- I only pushed clean files), but I don't know of a good way to search the sources for corrupt image files.

(Note: Corrupt image files do not block building packages, but they cause usability issues that reflect badly on us).

* Some really smart person to grep the system looking for text strings containing KDE. I haven't figured out a slick way to search the sources for these branding issues. Again, I think we have found most but we continually find more, albeit a smaller number of these strings appear each time. The challenge is we *cannot* do a blind global search-and-replace. We are at the point where we have to review each potential suspect string in context to ensure we are updating human-viewable text strings and not code strings.

* Some really smart person to figure out how the fifteenpieces applet About dialog is sucking in a KDE3 branded image (bug report 1052). I don't know whether the problem is limited to fifteenpieces or whether the image being used is a global default About image. One way or another we need to find that image and update.

* Internationalization (tde-i18n) files are beyond me. I nonetheless have patched many of these files. Most of the changes have been in the nature of KDE->TDE, but I suspect that in those patches occasionally I presumed incorrectly and changed something that changed contextual meaning. I don't know how we are going to resolve the differences between the tde-18n files and the parent files in the main source tree (po files, *.desktop files, *.docbook files, etc.)