Message: previous - next
Month: August 2012

Re: [trinity-devel] Include 513ffc6e into v3.5.13-sru?

From: Francois Andriot <francois.andriot@...>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:14:26 +0200
Le 18/08/2012 17:30, Slávek Banko a écrit :
> On Saturday 18 of August 2012 16:21:48 Francois Andriot wrote:
>> Le 18/08/2012 16:16, Slávek Banko a écrit :
>>> François, all,
>>> I noticed that François has in his patches for Fedora incorporated commit
>>> 513ffc6e: [tdelibs] Add ability to set KLed off color. Into v3.5.13-sru
>>> branch I am not putting this patch because it breaks the ABI.
>>> I'm interested in your opinion: Add 513ffc6e to v3.5.13-sru or not?
>>> Slavek
>> Hello,
>> in 3.5.13-sru, kled is already crashes 3.5.13 non-rebuilt apps because
>> of a "tqled" =>  "led" renaming or something like that.
>> Ex: kpowersave 3.5.13 with tdelibs crashes because of kled.
>> So I think it won't break it more to introduce this patch too.
>> Francois
> Let me disagree.
> Can I mention again that, included "renaming" patches are:
> + Rename old tq methods that no longer need a unique name
> + Remove additional unneeded tq method conversions
> + Rename obsolete tq methods to standard names
> + Rename a few stragglers
> + Fix inadvertent "TQ" changes
> These patches change such names, which anyway are in tqtinterface handled
> using "#define" - for example: #define tqsetSizePolicy setSizePolicy. These
> patches can not break the ABI. And not require recompilation of others.
> Exceptions that require recompiling a few other packages I mentioned earlier:
> 513ffc6e patch is different from the above. This patch changes the ABI and
> affects a large number of packages, which would have to be recompiled.
> Therefore, this patch (though is very small) for me seems with a too big
> impact than they should have a patches for SRU.
> Slavek

Mmm I'd like to be as confident as you about the few number of 
"exception" packages that should be rebuilt.
But anyway, you are right about this particular patch, adding it to 
3.5.13 causes too much troubles.
So I've simply removed it from tdelibs.

I understand that, theorically, the "TQ" renaming keeps full compatibility.

But I've seen that this renaming has more side effects (positive or 
negative) than we could think.

For example, the original 3.5.13 digikam does not work at all (at least 
on my computer). See bug 963.
After applying the "renaming" patches from SRU, it magically works.
In that case, it is obviously a good news. But this was still unexpected.

So, to avoid any bad surprise, I still intend to rebuild every packages 
for .
Which I hope will be released soon :-) (this is a subliminal message)